Date:      Fri, 08 Oct 1999 00:03:12 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   NIS ypupdated

Hi,
	I am just starting to experiment with NIS, and one thing I am not clear
about is the existence of

rpc_ypupdated_enable="NO"       # Run if NIS master and SecureRPC (or NO).

in /etc/defaults/rc.conf

According to the man pages for yp,

 While FreeBSD now has both NIS client and server capabilities, it does
     not yet have support for ypupdated(8) or the yp_update() function. Both
     of these require secure RPC, which FreeBSD doesn't support yet either.

If its not supported, what is its function ?

Thanks,

	---Mike