Date:      Fri, 07 May 2004 19:10:17 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        "J. W. Ballantine" <jwb@homer.att.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ntfs mount

Mark Ovens wrote:

> Not come across Smart Boot Manager but I wonder if it creates a small
> partition to run from; the OS/2 Boot Manager, which was also shipped
> with older versions of Partition Magic, did but, like "recovery"
> partitions it didn't get a drive letter.

Ah! I've just thought of something. My old machine had Boot Magic
installed - the boot manager that came with later versions of Partition
Magic and didn't need a dedicated partition. One of it's features let
you choose which partitions each OS could see. I never looked into _how_
it did it but I'm now wondering if it worked by setting the partition
type id flag to 45 (unknown) in the partition table; I do remember that
I had to disable the BIOS boot sector anti-virus feature as it went off
everytime I booted.

Now, it may be that this is how Smart Boot Manager works. You could
confirm it by viewing the MBR when booted into Windows, you can get a
copy of dd(1) and hd(1) for windows from cygwin.com or you can use
DSKPROBE.EXE which is in the NT4 Resource Kit (if you can find a copy -
e-mail me if you can't) and see if the partition type for the first two
partitions is now set to 7 (NTFS), and maybe the FreeBSD partitions are
now 45?

Regards,

Parish