Date:      Tue, 11 Nov 1997 10:40:57 +0100 (MET)
From:      Guido van Rooij <guido@gvr.org>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   sio: probe test 3 failed

Sometimes, after suspending my system, my modem card is not properly
reallocated. What happens is that the kernel prints:
	Card inserted, slot 1
	sio1: probe test 3 failed

Removing and resinserting the card does not help anymore.
Taking a look at the sio driver, one can read:
        if (idev->id_irq != 0)
                failures[3] = isa_irq_pending(idev) ? 0 : 1;
Inserting another modem card (same irq) gives:
	Card inserted, slot 1
	Nov 10 23:34:22 mouse pccardd[41]: No free configuration for card Intelligent

So somehow something seems still resident in the sio driver preventing this
new modem card to be properly initialised. The same thing also makes
the third test fail. Would you have a clue on what can be wrong?

Bruce suggested that the irq might have changed preventing test 3 from
succeeding. This would also explain that sio1 is kept resident depsite the
removal of the modem card which leads to pccardd logging that no free
driver is available.

-Guido