Date:      Wed, 13 Jun 2001 21:49:32 +0200
From:      "Toomas Aas" <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   interpreting nmap results

Hello!

I am installing a new server for webmail purposes and using
FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE. I don't have much experience with
Unix-like OSes so it's taking somewhat long time, because lot
of manual reading needs to be done before each step :-)

Anyway, after getting the base system installed I decided to
install nmap and see which ports are open on my server. In
addition to the expected ports, nmap found the following two:

111 sunrpc
587 submission

I have no idea what services are keeping open these ports.
How do I find out what these ports are used for and if I can
close them?

TIA.
--
Toomas Aas | toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee | http://www.raad.tartu.ee/~toomas/
* I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy