Date:      Sat, 11 May 2002 12:59:49 +0100
From:      "Jason Mann" <jason@jemnet.clara.co.uk>
To:        <freebsd-sparc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   getty problem after successful(?) install

Hi folks,

I've just now installed FreeBSD on my Sun Ultra 5 using the ISO image that I
downloaded from:
ftp://ftp.uk.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/development/sparc64/sparc64-20020408.is
o.bz2.

I carried out the following steps:

- booted from CD-ROM and logged in as root
- created a disklabel on the IDE disk, with partitions for /, /var, /usr and
swap.
- newfs'd the partitions
- mounted them under /mnt, /mnt/var and /mnt/usr
- untarred /root/distrib-20020406.tar into /mnt
- created /mnt/etc/fstab with entries for all my partitions, including swap
and proc
- rebooted

The system now appears to boot successfully from the hard disk, but can not
present a login prompt. The following message appears:

(date time) init: can't exec getty '/usr/libexec/getty' for port
/dev/ofwcons: No such file or directory

Now, I'm guessing this is because my new /dev does not contain valid device
entries. So, as I'm unable to log in to rectify this, I booted off the
CD-ROM again, and mounted the new root directory under /mnt. I then tried to
run the following:

# cd /mnt/dev
# sh ./MAKEDEV

which did nothing, and

# sh ./MAKEDEV ofwcons

which said the device does not exist.

I'm not sure where to go from here. Any suggestions or instructions would be
much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason Mann