Date:      Thu, 26 Apr 2007 19:36:54 -0400
From:      Howard Goldstein <hg@queue.to>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        youshi10@u.washington.edu
Subject:   Re: Thunderbird 2.0 dumps core on second file open op

youshi10@u.washington.edu wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Apr 2007, Howard Goldstein wrote:
>
>> Jan Henrik Sylvester wrote:
>>> I guess I would have to update all gnome packages from 2.16 to 2.18
>>> to see if it helps... but since Howard Goldstein rebuild all his
>>> ports, he can probably confirm that this happens with the current ports.
>>
>> Unfortunately it does still happen for me. For those ports I'm at
>> these versions:
>>
>> gnome-vfs-2.18.1_1  GNOME Virtual File System
>> libgnome-2.18.0_1   Libraries for GNOME, a GNU desktop environment
>
> If you don't mind me asking, what are the file types, and about how
> large are these files?

An appx 1K rc file (.nvidia-settings-rc), in another case a one page 29K
.pdf

> Could everyone affected by this issue document a few more steps of what
> they do to cause Thunderbird to coredump, please?

1. start thunderbird
2. ^M or click on the write message label
3. attach any file
4. send an email to self, garbage or empty message, take the default
subject or change it to garbage.
5. ^M to compose another message
6. at any point from this point on , attaching a file will coredump

> Also, uname -a would be helpful.

cally:~$ uname -a
FreeBSD cally.queue.to 6.2-STABLE FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE #1: Sat Mar 31
20:04:48 EDT 2007     hg@cally.queue.to:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CALLY  i386

gnome is not the desktop on this system...

(FWIW, building and installing with -DWITHOUT_GNOME -DWITHOUT_GNOMEVFS
as hinted by the pr does not make a difference)