Date:      Fri, 11 Jul 2003 10:17:50 -0700
From:      Johnson David <DavidJohnson@Siemens.com>
To:        Cotton <cottonlt@mac.com>, freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD/XFree questions

On Thursday 10 July 2003 08:45 pm, Cotton wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> First off, my *nix experience… I’ve run a few different distros on
> the mac and PC just checking stuff out, but never full-time –
> definitely still a newbie. I have an old P166 here that I want to set
> up as a headless file server (mp3s, divx, documents)/web
> server/sendmail et al… it won’t be hit too hard, anyway.
>
> Will an old P166/64mb 66mhz SDRAM run FreeBSD 5.1 with X/KDE/Gnome
> ok? Or should I forget about the GUI and just control it through ssh?

The main factor in this case is the memory. You don't want it hit your
swap all of the time, or it will be agonizingly slow. I ran KDE on a
P200 64M laptop and it was usable, but just barely. Your best bet is to
use a small window manager like Blackbox or WindowMaker, and stay away
from large applications like Mozilla and OpenOffice.

David