Date:      Tue, 16 May 2017 14:04:16 -0700
From:      Aaron <drizzt321@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS root on single SSD?

LOL, well, this is my home system, and but I do recognize that RAID !=3D
backup (have CrashPlan for that), and even mirror can fail on a rebuild. I
was just trying to gauge if it was an actual bad idea, or just a "meh,
whatever dude, probably won't hurt".

@Matt
Usage pattern will be basically general system processes, and quite
possibly several bhyve VMs, things like CrashPlan (stupid lack of FreeBSD
support) and a few game server VMs, although for the games I'll almost
certainly have the data hosted via shares onto my ZFS array which is my
primary data storage.

System resources...I've got 12C/24T, 72GB RDIMM memory. It'll be fine. I've
actually been running zroot mirror & raidz array with 12GB memory and an
old Athlon II dual core. So should be fine. I can swap out some 4GB dimms
for 8GB dimms if I need more memory.

Data security, that's where I'd like ZFS for, for the checksumming & such,
even though I won't get drive failure protection. Still, I've had the SSD
running and in use on a different machine for a while, so if it was going
to just have a controller failure or something it would have had it by now,
so should be fine. And I'll backup configs & such just in case anyway.

--Aaron