Date:      Fri, 17 Feb 2012 07:21:45 -0800
From:      Freddie Cash <fjwcash@gmail.com>
To:        Pete French <petefrench@ingresso.co.uk>
Cc:        wblock@wonkity.com, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, mandrews@bit0.com, 000.fbsd@quip.cz, freebsd@jdc.parodius.com
Subject:   Re: New BSD Installer

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 3:12 AM, Pete French <petefrench@ingresso.co.uk> wr=
ote:
>> I wasn't aware you could do that. =C2=A0I was only aware that it was the
>> other way around. =C2=A0That (my) misconception seems to also be relayed
>> by others such as Miroslav who said:
>
> Should this not be the recommended way of doing things even for MBR
> disks ? I have a lot of machines booting from gmirror, but we always
> do it by mirroring MBR partitions (or GPT ones). I cant see why you would
> want to do it the other way round in fact. It doesnt gain you anything
> does it ?

The problem with mirroring partitions is that you thrash the disk
during the rebuild after replacing a failed disk.  And the more
partitions you have, the worse it gets.

If you mirror the device, then the rebuild process only has to rebuild
a single "thing".

If you mirror 4 partitions on a device, then there will be four
simultaneous, parallel rebuild processes running, thrashing the drive
heads on both devices, killing you I/O throughput and extending the
length of the rebuild.

And if you mix your redundancy technologies (like gmirror and zfs
mirror) it gets even worse due to competing rebuild schedulers.

--=20
Freddie Cash
fjwcash@gmail.com