Date:      Thu, 16 Nov 2000 16:18:19 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
Cc:        Geoff Buckingham <geoffb@chuggalug.clues.com>, scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Today's best RAID card?

>   Once 4.2 hits RELEASE, what is going to be the best host-based RAID
> controller?

"Best" In which context?

>   I was happy with a Mylex AccelRAID 150 and mlxcontrol, but Mylex has
> changed over their product lines.  I understand mlxcontrol does not
> understand the new Mylex cards yet.  I'm planning to setup about 14
> servers in about 6 weeks with various RAID1 and RAID1+0 configs and I have
> no idea which model to get.

Unless you're allergic to IDE, I'd strongly consider the 3ware ATA cards;
for RAID0 and RAID1 it's impossible to beat them on price/performance,
and they have FreeBSD native management tools in beta right now.

For SCSI RAID; I am still working on management.  I really, really need
volunteers for this though; my time just isn't enough for this.