Date:      Sat, 10 May 1997 15:42:10 -0700
From:      "Adam J. Bartels" <adam@aegis1.com>
To:        "'Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com'" <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>, Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>, Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>, "james@westongold.com" <james@westongold.com>, "smp@FreeBSD.ORG" <smp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: maptable of SuperMicro P6DNH

Michael is right.

My production workstation is dual boot with NT 4.0 Server and FREEBSD SMP, and is the BDC for our LAN.  HW profile: GA-586 DX(Taiwanese Tomcat ripoff with 430HX chipset. Cheap and works great!) w/dual 166 "classic"(no MMX) Pentiums, 512 pipeline, 64MB EDO, Adaptec 7880(same chipset as 2940 but onboard) which supports SCSI II and UWSCSI, 2 Quantum Atlas 2.25 HDs, ESS soundcard and Phillips 8X  SCSI CDROM. NT Server is rock stable and rocketship fast with my current hardware. I have yet to get FREEBSD to run as it should with SMP. My uni-processor 2.2.1 ran great. Part of this is due to my lack of experience with UNIX. I'm sure as I learn more and the SMP kernel is further refined some of my problems will go away. I'm no Microsoft Minion, but I can tell you NT Server 4.0 is for real, and is fully capable of controlling any small to medium sized enterprise. Present build scales to 16 processors and 5.0 will scale to 64 with 64 bit optimization. Near future developments such as "Wolfpack", a control package to chain together multiple NT Servers(yes, hundreds) for large enterprise networks will offer a viable alternative to any other enterprise OS.

Adam J. Bartels
Aegis Technology Systems
adam@aegis1.com