Date:      Wed, 3 Apr 1996 11:06:41 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      knarf@camelot.de (Frank Bartels)
To:        lehey.pad@sni.de (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        knarf@camelot.de, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: DAT problems

Heya!

Greg Lehey wrote:

> > After that the machine sometimes crashes a couple of minutes later.
> > The tape seems to wind forward and then backward and then panics.
>
> How long does it do this for?  More or less than a minute?

Much more than one minute.

> > I tried another tape in another SP3G with NCR.
> >
> >  (ncr0:4:0): "HP HP35470A 9 09" type 1 removable SCSI 2
> >
> > Same error. :/
> >
> > So I bought a new machine:
>
> A new computer or a new DAT drive?  Judging by the report, I'm
> assuming a new computer.

A new computer. :)

> There are a couple of things you should check:
>
> 1.  You don't have a 120m cartridge, do you?  The 34580A can't read
>     them (but it should report the fact, and not go into deep
>     meditation mode).

No, I have just 90m tapes.

> 2.  Have you cleaned the drive with a cleaning cartridge in the last
>     25 hours of operation?

No, I did not. Now I got a cleaning tape and used it, but it did not help.
(Should I use cleaning cartridges or not? If, how often?)

> 3.  Does it work with a new cartridge?  It looks as if you're trying
>     to read an existing cartridge, and if that's not in good
>     condition, it could cause these problems.

This seems really possible. But _writing_ to an "old" tape (written
on it once) should work as good as writing to a new tape, yes?

Bye,
Knarf
--
  Frank Bartels   |UUCP/ZModem/Fax: + 49 89 5469593| "Captain, why not just
 knarf@camelot.de |  http://www.camelot.de/~knarf/ | give the Borg Windows?"