Date:      Sun, 02 Jan 2000 14:08:29 +0200
From:      Pekka Savola <Pekka.Savola@netcore.fi>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Huge crontab jobs are not run

>> 1       0       *       *       1       root    /usr/local/sbin/logrotate
>> -----
>>
>> Will not be run. Logrotate does some really heavy httpd log checking and
>> resolving - Like 1-2 hours job on a P3/500.  Replacing
>> /usr/local/sbin/logrotate with some neat little script seems to be run
nicely.
>> Also, 'touch /etc/crontab' doesn't help any.  Running the script manually
>> works fine.
>>
>> Is there something I'm missing here?
>
>Well, I'd guess you're looking in the wrong place.  This has nothing
>to do with cron.

Sorry, I don't quite understand this.  If this has nothing to do with
crontab, *what* does it have to do with then?

I run /usr/local/sbin/logrotate from the shell:

bash-2.03# /usr/local/sbin/logrotate
[works fine]

I add it to /etc/crontab:

1       0       *       *       1       root    /usr/local/sbin/logrotate
[Won't be run]

I fail to see what *could* be wrong with the script because it works on an
interactive shell session just fine.

Any further ideas?

Pekka Savola			pekkas@netcore.fi
---
Across the nations the stories spread like spiderweb laid upon spiderweb,
and men and women planned the future, believing they knew truth. They
planned, and the Pattern absorbed their plans, weaving toward the future
foretold.		-- Robert Jordan: The Path of Daggers