Date:      Fri, 23 Dec 2022 12:08:23 -0700
From:      Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com>
Subject:   Re: Slight OT: Making Firefox behave the same on FreeBSD and windows

parv/FreeBSD wrote:
> Chris Hill wrote:
> > I had the same issue with a Chase account. It seems that they object to
> > seeing "FreeBSD" in the user agent string. I used one of the many
> > plug-ins to change the string for that site, so my machine would appear
> > to be running Linux. It works well.
> >

> Oh, come on now! Are we in the 1990's where one's HTML
> renders sanely, by design, only in a specific browser?! Fuck.

I have exactly the same situation with chase.com but it isn't a
rendering problem AFAICS but is a security check failure from the
chase.com site.  Their site checks UserAgent which is extremely
egregious given that UserAgent has no security and can be set to
anything.

The chase.com site refuses to accept a UserAgent that isn't one of
Linux or Windows (and I presume Mac too) and redirects me to login
again.  And again.  But switching it to a Linux UserAgent works fine.
Can login.  Can use the site for everything okay.

I am using "User-Agent Switcher" with Firefox.  It's simple.  It works
okay for me.

Bob