Date:      Tue, 4 Jun 2002 01:07:26 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Heiko Recktenwald <uzs106@ibm.rhrz.uni-bonn.de>
To:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ESS 1868 in old laptop

Hi, got an old laptop, that played mp3s fine with NetBSD.

But there is no PLIP in NetBSD, couldnt make Linux run etcpp,
so there is now FBSD 3.5.1 on the machine. Started with 2.1.7, there
were some seconds sound with VOX, but VOX doesnt work on 3.5.1 with this
chip at all. The chip seems to be supported by the sbc device in 4.*, but
this cannot be loaded on the machine, fatal trap 1, when the kernel boots.

So with 3.5.1, what can I do ? The pnp lines from man pcm or snd/CARDS
seem to have no effect, the values from the pcm0 line in MYKERNEL
are allways there (or the values from userconfig), Tried different
pcm0 lines (values) without success.

Is there any strategy I could try ?
Maybe to find the correct values with a dos boot floppy ?
No idea what kind of software I would need.

Best,

H.