Date:      Thu, 14 Aug 2003 12:00:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Viktor Lazlo <viktorlazlo@telus.net>
To:        Eric Murphy <eam404@kingwoodcable.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hi Quick question

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003, Joshua Oreman wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 10:52:33PM -0500 or thereabouts, Eric Murphy wrote:
>
> > Is there a command to browse files by pages?  When ever I ls in a
> > big dir, I can't shift page up for some reason.  This is very
> > annoying =(
>
> Option 1) ls | less     #-or-#    ls | more
> Option 2) press ScrollLock and then up/down arrow or pgup/pgdown

If you are new to the shell and looking for something to ease the
transition between Windows and the console try installing mc
(/usr/ports/misc/mc):

/usr/ports/misc/mc/pkg-descr
GNU Midnight Commander is a user-friendly yet powerful file manager
and visual shell, useful to novice and guru alike. It provides a
clear, user-friendly, and somewhat protected interface to a Unix
system while making many frequent file operations more efficient and
preserving the full power of the command prompt. You will wonder how
you could ever live without it.
WWW: http://www.ibiblio.org/mc/

Cheers,

Viktor