Date:      Mon, 13 Jul 1998 14:56:51 +0100 (BST)
From:      Jay Tribick <netadmin@fastnet.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   NFS Lockups when Quota'd

Hi

Background:

First machine
        Pentium II 266mhz
        128meg RAM
        FreeBSD 2.2.5
        DPT RAID Cacheing Controller Card (SMART) - 64meg Cache RAM
        DPT RAID 5 Array (20gig, 16.4gig Useable)
        FreeBSD 2.2.5
        NFS Server

Second machine & Third machine
        Pentium II 266mhz
        128meg RAM
        FreeBSD 2.2.6
        NFS client

Problem:

Every so often, usually when I'm trying to get Quota's to work
on the first machine, it will lock up (taking the other machines
down with it because of the squid proxy arrangement).

Has anyone else experienced similar? The system locks up and because the
drive is exported and mounted on many different machines those machines
fall over as well.  It's bloody annoying :-/ I realise mounting the drive
as soft on the NFS client machines would stop /those/ falling over but
squid would still error and I'd prefer to stop it crashing all together.
I'm having a hard time getting the first machine to have an uptime in
excess of 14days! Is there a bug in getting quota's to work on an
NFS exported system? (I've not put rpc.quotad on the other machines
yet, mainly because i can't the quotas to work on the first machine)
The first machine has /export mounted as userquota (the array) but
a quotaon or repquota -a will cause any disk access to freeze
the machine. Edquota works fine but once the data is saved,
a 'quota' on the same user will show the un-saved results.
/export/quota.user exists and appears to be fine.

There's quite a bit of traffic going between the machines but
they are on their own switched 100mbps hub, the above machines
act as squid proxy servers with all the cache information
stored on the array in seperate directories and linked
as a sibling hierarchy to a parent upstream from us.

Please cc: replies to netadmin@fastnet.co.uk

Regards,

Jay Tribick

[| Network Administrator | FastNet International | http://fast.net.uk/ |]