Date:      Mon, 23 Sep 1996 13:26:22 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Gabor Zahemszky <zgabor@CoDe.hu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        jmb@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Q] i18n: how it in X?

>  how do i get my xterm to do swedish (for instance)?
>
>  how do i get back to the default condition afterword?
>
>  same questions really for syscons.
>
>  we/i need an i18n entry in the handbook

Well, I've just finished making Hungarian locale - only on syscons.  Maybe,
I'll write somesing about it, but:
on syscons, you have to make:

1) font files (OK, there are so many on /usr/share/syscons/fonts)
(and I've found, that Linux font files are OK, too)
You load them with /usr/sbin/vidcontrol -f

2) keyboard driver files (there are some on /usr/share/keymaps
You load them with /usr/sbin/kbdcontrol -l

3) maybe a screenmap file (undocumented in 2.1R, but from the sources, you
can understand the usage) - I made, but think, that mostly it isn't need
You can load them with /usr/sbin/vidcontrol -l

4) the main part: locale and collating files.  These files says, which
characters are letters, which are printable, and how do you sort them.
(these files are in /usr/share/locale/???/{LC_CTYPE,LC_COLLATE}
Get some sources (from /usr/src/usr.bin/{mklocale,colldef}/data/), and
write your own (but these are made for some language/country - as I remember)
and from the sources, generate the binaries with /usr/bin/{mklocale,colldef}

5) maybe an LC_TIME file in that directory, which says, how can you show
the date (well, the LC_TIME file from -current works with 2.1R, but you have
to delete the comment lines (after modifying the source) - or better, move
the commentlines at the end of the file).  Well, some programs have problems
with LC_TIME (eg: ls !!!)

6) make a new LANG variable (exported), pointed to the locale directory, eg:
$ LANG=hu_HU.ISO_8859-2 ; export LANG

6b) maybe export the ENABLE_STARTUP_LOCALE variable:
$ ENABLE_STARTUP_LOCALE= ; export ENABLE_STARTUP_LOCALE

sometimes, it generates interesting output from programs (well, date is OK,
but ls -l not - I've just discovered, and I'll ``send-pr'' it; and
somebody had problems with X, too)

I'd like to see my hungarian locale in the next version (and after it, too)
what do I need to do?  To whom need I send it?  Where do I need to put?
(Of course, there may be some bugs in it, but I think, noone can test
correctly his own work.)

Gabor
--
	Gabor Zahemszky <zgabor@CoDe.hu>

Earth is the cradle of human sense, but you can't stay in the cradle forever.
						Tsiolkovsky