Date:      Wed, 15 Jan 1997 22:31:04 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ports status / category quandry

On Wed, 15 Jan 1997, John Fieber wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Jan 1997, Chuck Robey wrote:
>
> > >   2) This port really wants to be in a "text processing"
> > >      category.  In fact, in the misc category, it has a few other lost
> > >      friends like glimpse, ispell, mgdiff, recode, rman, and trans.
> > >      Opinions on a "Text" category?
> >
> > "print" category, it already exists, ghostscript, gv, tex, stuff like
> > that.
>
> No.
>
> That would be like putting the perl5 port in the database
> category because you can use it in a database project. There is
> overlap between text processing and printing applications, but
> putting equating the two is a serious classification error.
>
> A printing application might make use of SGML, but SGML is *not*
> a printing application by any stretch of the definition.  It
> doesn't belong in printing any more than ispell or recode does.

Very few of our applications *exactly* fit one category.  Is there
anything else like sgml?  Are you asking for a one-item category?  Would
putting sgml in either print or misc be so misleading?  The idea of
categories is to make things easier to locate, there isn't any intrinsic
functionality implied.

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |