Date:      Wed, 5 Aug 1998 02:44:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Dexnation Holodream <dex@wankers.net>
To:        Vince Vielhaber <vev@michvhf.com>
Cc:        Chris Hill <jchill@dgsys.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Install *actually* friendly

On Tue, 4 Aug 1998, Vince Vielhaber wrote:

[snip]

> Chris' point above about the floppy and one of the responses I've seen since
> then are a good example of what I'm typing about.  Why should the poor user
> be made to suffer 'cuze it's assumed (either right or wrong) that most people
> disable the floppy in BIOS?  At the very extreme, ASK THE USER don't decide
> for him/her!

So you kids know, the floppy controller and the floppy disk are in all
kernels by default.  They're just not in the fstab by default.  Sure,
there should be a "novice" set of /etc files that allow for mount /floppy,
but don't forget that a novice user will most likely run into the problem
that the disk they're trying to mount on /floppy is msdosfs, which means
they're need either mount_msdos /floppy or mount -t msdos /floppy, anyway.

In plain english, sure, we could cater to a little bit more to the novice
user, but they're still going to run into some very basic problems.  Now,
if we spruce up the documentation, then, if they're smart enough to RTFM,
and we put a few tutorials in, we'd be 10x better off, having created a
set of slightly more clueful users.

Just my $.02...

-Jon