Date:      Sat, 2 May 1998 10:37:36 -0400
From:      "Jason" <kib@poboxes.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   FreeBSD on old equipment

I have a rash of older equipment here and wanted to know how compatible
2.2.5 or 2.2.6 is with older hardware and how well it will run if at all.  I
have a rash of 386 boards with 2-16 megs of ram.  Will FreeBSD be of any use
for on these sort of machines?  I already decided that the 286s won't work
and need to hit the dump  :)

Also...how much HD space is required to run the OS.  For instance I have
several HDs under 100 megs.  Can I use one of those HDs and setup a router
with on it?  How much ram is needed?  How much HD? How much Memory/CPU is
needed?

I guess what I need to know is basic minimiums for FreeBSD.  I would like to
run a Router that can IP alias for several machines over a Ethernet Internet
connection.  Am I asking too much of this old hardware?

Thanks in advance

Jason Cribbins