Date:      Mon, 22 Feb 1999 01:32:25 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Panic in FFS/4.0 as of yesterday

    I don't think B_EXPIDITE could ever be made to work well.  Why not limit
    the number of async I/O write operations allowed to be in-progress at any
    given moment for ops run by the syncer, swapper, or flushdirtybufs?.
    Either on a vnode-by-vnode or a mount-by-mount basis?  I do a poor-man's
    version of this for the swapper.  At least then the hacks would be
    concentrated together rather then strewn all over the codebase.   The
    write queueing problem seems to be quite general in nature, which means
    that the solution should not be to have to hack each and every device
    that might do I/O ( aka UFS in this case ).

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>