Date:      Fri, 24 Sep 1999 01:06:16 GMT
From:      mike@sentex.net (Mike Tancsa)
To:        darvin.zuch@autoprofile.com (Darvin Zuch)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Routing non-Routable IP's

On 23 Sep 1999 17:48:52 -0400, in sentex.lists.freebsd.questions you wrote:

>Good Morning All!
>
>I have a FreeBSD box that I'm using as a IP router between two networks,
>10.0.0.0/24 and 10.0.1.0/24.  From hosts on either network, I can ping
>either of the if cards in the Freebsd box and from the FreeBSD console,
>I can ping hosts on either network.  I can't however ping across the
>FreeBSD box from one network to the other (either way).  When I ping
>from a host on one network to a host on the other network, I time out.
>
>I'm thinking this may be because these IP's are declare non-routable by
>rfc ???.  If this is the case, how do I go about overridding this.

The term "non routable" is a misleading term.  There is nothing special
about 10.0.0.0/8 172.16.0.0/16, and 192.168.0.0/18, other than that people
have agreed not to globally route these blocks.  What you need is to add
routes on the box that link the two networks together (which should be done
automatically if it has interfaces in both networks), enable IP forwarding
on the box, and make it the default gateway (or add static routes on your
machines) for your machines.

	---Mike
Mike Tancsa  (mdtancsa@sentex.net)
Sentex Communications Corp,
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
"Given enough time, 100 monkeys on 100 routers could setup a national IP network." (KDW2)