Date:      Sat, 19 Apr 1997 10:35:09 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        jack <jack@diamond.xtalwind.net>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Price of FreeBSD (was On Holy Wars...)

On Sat, 19 Apr 1997, jack wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Apr 1997, Nate Williams wrote:
>
> > > You decide between Window 95 and NT by understanding what the product can
> > > do and what is expected to be available in the foreseeable future. If you
> > > had to
> > > reinstall the thing every 3 months there'd be a lot of people using
> > > something else
> >
> > Umm, have you *ever* used Win95 or NT?
>
> Not if he's lucky.  ;-)
>
> > We *regularly* (easily every 3 months) have to re-install every few
> > months (sometimes less than 3).
>
> One of our most cluefull customers had to format and re-install to
> convince 95 he had changed modems.  Re-install without a format wouldn't
> do it.

I have lost count of the number of times that I reinstalled Win95 while I
was working at M$.  It really is a sad joke of an operating system and is
worse than DOS for development.  Most of the time a simple re-install is
fine but there are times when you just have to shutdown to DOS, deltree
windows and start again :-(.

I never used NT since it was bigger and slower and our software was
supposed to be released for Win95.  I am sure it is the same, possibly
with a longer mean-time-to-reinstall.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com