Date:      Sat, 18 Aug 2007 15:46:17 +0100 (BST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Derek E. Lewis" <dlewis@solnetworks.net>
Cc:        Patrick Tracanelli <eksffa@freebsdbrasil.com.br>, fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Xsan (Apple) on FreeBSD

On Sat, 18 Aug 2007, Derek E. Lewis wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Aug 2007, Robert Watson wrote:
>
>> Catching up on an aging thread here -- as far as I know, the XSan parts
>> from Mac OS X are closed source, so while you can access XSan storage using
>> whatever distributed file systems Apple supports (NFS, CIFS?), you can't
>> use FreeBSD to directly access the storage area network.  This is probably
>> fine.
>>
>> You'll be interested to know, if you don't already, that both NetApp and
>> Isilon use FreeBSD as the foundation OS for their products.
>
> Isilon uses FreeBSD, yes, but Netapp uses Linux. One of the improvements
> Netapp made to Linux was rewriting the NFS stack to support NFSv4 in a
> decent manner. Those of you that have worked with Linux NFS before know that
> its not something you want to ship on a commercial storage product.

NetApp gave a rather nice presentation at the recent FreeBSD developer summit
in Ottawa on the topic of FreeBSD as the foundation OS for OnTap/GX, and also
made a rather healthy donation to the FreeBSD Foundation in the last six
months.  I defer to their expertise on the point of what the OS in their
product is... :-)  As I understand it, NetApp has improved the Linux NFS
client significantly, but not for the purposes of including it in their
product.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge