Date:      Fri, 10 Aug 2001 15:52:48 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
Cc:        Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>, Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>, Jens Arnfast <jens@arnfast.dk>, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AlphaServer 4100 boot/install problem

On Fri, Aug 10, 2001 at 03:45:16PM -0700, Matthew Jacob wrote:
> > > But there is no 4.4-snap to test the install. My 4.4-PRERELEASE CD that
> > > I created here won't boot from CD. See the thread on -alpha.
> >
> > The releng4 loader is definately FUBAR.  I am working on finding the bad
> > commit now.
>
> Really? On what do you base the conclusion that the loader is bad?

    Hit [Enter] to boot immediately, or any other key for command prompt.
    Booting [kernel]...
    can't load 'kernel'
    can't load 'kernel.old'
    no bootable kernel
    /

    Type '?' for a list of commands, 'help' for more detailed help.
    ok unload
    ok load kernel
    don't know how to load module '/kernel.ko'

    ok  load /kernel
    don't know how to load module '/kernel.ko'

This smells an awful lot like too much got MFC'ed.