Date:      Sat, 12 Apr 2008 00:03:21 -0400
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>
To:        Kevin Sanders <newroswell@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dump restore pain and suffering

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 05:51:21PM -0700, Kevin Sanders wrote:

> I've been dumping and restoring a test system today, and I'm have very
> little success.  Basically, I've been installing a base FreeBSD
> 7-RELEASE/i386 system, doing something like dump -0auL -f
> /mnt/test.root.dump, formating the drive and trying to restore -rf
> /mnt/test.root.dump.  /mnt is a ufs formated usb drive.  After the
> dump, I've even done a restore -rNf /mnt/test.root.dump just to make
> sure it doesn't complain out the dump file.
>
> I've read the handbook, found a few articles, googled all the errors.
> The header dumpdate thing is harmless, the expected next file is from
> it being a live system, but I'm not ending up with a system that is
> very usable.  Doing a df, I see that sometimes I end up with a
> restored slice that is about the same size as my dump file, sometimes
> less than half.  I know I'm not being very specific with what's not
> working, but is anyone really using dump/restore and having success
> with the restore part?  I'm now full of doubt and worry that my real
> systems are not really backed up.

I have used it many hundreds of times.  The only problems have been
with media failures.

don't worry so much about the size.   Check the files and see if they
are good.  Those sizes could be a lot of unused but allocated space
in some circumstances and not in others.

> I really wished this worked as easy as falling out of a boat and
> hitting water.

I've seen that fail before too.

////jerry