Date:      Wed, 31 Aug 2005 15:40:00 -0500
From:      linimon@lonesome.com (Mark Linimon)
To:        Vizion <vizion@vizion.occoxmail.com>
Cc:        Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>, Herve Quiroz <hq@freebsd.org>, freebsd-eclipse@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How should eclipse be organized in the ports tree?

> >First of all, a plugin's jar file is essentially its distfile, currently
> >downloaded by the ports system in ports/distfiles or its subdirectories.
> >Storing it in the ports CVS repository (in ports/eclipse/plugins), as
> >you seem to imply, would in some cases be problematic because of
> >licensing/redistribution issues (not to mention bloat).

OK, I missed this part the first time around.  I thought that you
were talking about having a way to _fetch_ all the jarfiles in the
subport -- not the jarfiles themselves.

The problem is that the jarfiles are large, and everyone who has a
copy of the ports collection would have to have them -- even people
who do not use eclipse.  There is also the fact that, being binaries,
every time they change they would essentially be a complete new copy
in the CVS repository.

We currently do not have many (any?) binaries in the CVS repository
and it probably ought to stay that way.  CVS is much more efficient
for text files.

I would instead rather see a port that, when you update it, goes
though the latest list of jarfiles and fetches them into a single
subdirectory of ports/distfiles (e.g. ports/distfiles/eclipse-plugins/).
That unifies the search function without penalizing anyone who does not
wish to install the eclipse ports.  This also disentangles us from
licensing problems.

mcl