Date:      Fri, 24 Mar 2000 00:11:48 +0100
From:      Phil Pennock <phil@globnix.org>
To:        Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Submitting a program

Typing away merrily, Ben Smithurst produced the immortal words:
> send-pr

Okay, noted.  Though treating a new feature as a problem irks me.  "The
problem is the lack of a convenient way to do this".

> However, it might be better for you to add this functionality to
> pkg_info, rather than adding a separate program, and send-pr the diff.

The difference being that pkg_info is written in C, and I don't fancy
regression-testing changes to that, etc.  It's more bloaty.  Scripts are
nice - scripts are your friend.  Leverage existing tools.

Mind, there are two issues with the script as stands, one of which
applies to ANY attempt to solve this problem:
 *  I didn't explicitly set PATH to include /usr/bin - how much of a
    problem this is depends on how much of a pedant you are.  :^)
 *  It's been pointed out to me by Marc Espie that files can be produced
    without being explicitly listed in +CONTENTS - eg, via @exec

So, pkg_which can report likely candidates for file origin, provided
it's explitly listed in +CONTENTS.  For all my test cases, this has
proven to be the case.  So this solution is better than nothing, but
perhaps not good enough to be enshrined into pkg_info as is.  In fact,
it seems there is no "full solution" to this.

pkg_which works for my purposes and I supplied it in the hope that it
might be useful.  Beyond that, I'm not really bothered what happens (as
long as I don't get sued for providing something which isn't perfect
...)
--
--> Phil Pennock, DeathWatch Admin.
"We've got a patent on the conquering of a country through the use of force.