Date:      Fri, 9 Jan 1998 23:32:47 -0500 (EST)
From:      Steven Ames <steve@news.cioe.com>
To:        steve@news.cioe.com, wilko@yedi.iaf.nl
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI/Tape problem?

> > Hrm... I was unclear. The 'mt erase' is obviously only a
> > symptom. The backup process still causes my machine to lockup...
>
> OK, that is obviously wrong. My 2.2.5R box performs dumps just fine on the
> 8200, as said without doing an mt erase. I do not use Amanda though

Correct. I do not _have_ to do the 'mt erase'. In fact I never do.
However... 'mt erase' does not work... and my backup locks up. These
are seperate but related issues. Bottom line is _it don't work_.

I have tried just about every termination I can think to try. Different
cables, different controller (still a 2940) and a different
tape drive. It still doesn't work. So something is wrong. Options
anyone?

						-Steve