Date:      Mon, 2 Jul 2012 13:35:54 +0100
From:      Anton Shterenlikht <mexas@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, Anton Shterenlikht <mexas@bristol.ac.uk>, freebsd-ia64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: init: fatal signal: Segmentation fault

On Sun, Jul 01, 2012 at 11:03:49AM -0700, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:

> On Jun 21, 2012, at 8:40 AM, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
>
> 	*snip*
> > Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/da2p2 [rw]...
> > WARNING: / was not properly dismounted
> > Jun 21 17:35:34 init: fatal signal: Segmentation fault
> > Setting hostuuid: 0aa09909-35f1-11df-b7f8-00110a31e60a.
> > Setting hostid: 0xc70eae4e.
> > Entropy harvesting: interrupts ethernet point_to_point kickstart.
> > Fast boot: skipping disk checks.
>
> Why are you forcing a fast boot? Subsequent problems are the result
> of not making your file system clean.

Well.. I had a complete freeze.
The only way to recove was a cold reset,
hence the "not properly dismounted" warning.
I've no idea why the disk checks were skipped.
As far as I remember, I just did a reboot,
no extra or special options.

> > mount: /dev/da2p2: R/W mount of / denied. Filesystem is not clean - run fsck.: Operation not permitted
> > Mounting root filesystem rw failed, startup aborted
> > ERROR: ABORTING BOOT (sending SIGTERM to parent)!
> > Jun 21 17:36:06 init: /bin/sh on /etc/rc terminated abnormally, going to single user mode
> > Jun 21 17:36:06 init: fatal signal: Segmentation fault
>
> I don't know if there's a separate problem with init(8) dumping
> core or the immediate consequence of the above.
>
> > How can I recover from this?
>
> boot -s and see what happens. If init(8) dies again, use a
> different init(8) by setting init_path at the loader prompt.
> SOmething like the following could do the trick:
>
> 	set init_path="/sbin/init.bak"

boot -s led to the same error "aborting boot".

I didn't know about init.bak, will try next time.

Anyway, I couldn't figure out how to recover,
and decided to re-install.

Thanks

--
Anton Shterenlikht