Date:      Mon, 14 Feb 2005 22:57:29 +0800
From:      Xin LI <delphij@frontfree.net>
To:        Joerg Schilling <schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Star & FreeBSD

--6c2NcOVqGQ03X4Wi

On Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 12:20:46PM +0100, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> David Schultz <das@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:
> > However, I believe it is generally not possible to use CDDL code
> > for integral parts of FreeBSD because, like the LGPL, the CDDL
> > requires that modifications be made available under the CDDL.
> > It is probably fine for kernel modules and extensions, but that's
> > something core@ needs to decide.
>=20
> I believe that FreeBSD could e.g. use DTrace.
>=20
> In order to make it work under FreeBSD, it needs porting.
>=20
> Then the ported source code will be put on the FreeBSD ftp server.
>=20
> Somebody who likes to make embedded devices that are based on FreeBSD
> could point to the FreeBSD ftp server in order to "make the sources avail=
able".

But there is no such requirement exist in a BSD License.

No essential parts of FreeBSD should be covered by any licenses that
enforces more restrictions than the BSD License.  FreeBSD don't use
glibc, etc. for this reason, in the base system.

star is in the FreeBSD ports collection.  So what's your question?

Cheers,
--=20
Xin LI <delphij frontfree net>	http://www.delphij.net/
See complete headers for GPG key and other information.

--6c2NcOVqGQ03X4Wi

--6c2NcOVqGQ03X4Wi--