Date:      Mon, 30 Sep 2002 17:13:26 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        Andrew Nelson <andrew__nelson@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: using tar --exclude in FreeBSD..

--UugvWAfsgieZRqgk

On Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 10:14:42PM +1000, Andrew Nelson wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> I'm having trouble using tar with simple exclusion
> rules..  I'd like to be able to run something like this:
>=20
> tar cfvzp etc-backup.tgz /etc/
>=20
> but exclude all *.gz files. I can only the --exclude syntax
> of tar if I leave off the -vzp options.  Why doesn't the
> following work?
>=20
> tar cfvzp --exclude=3D"*.gz" usr-backup.tgz /etc/

I have found that tar only accepts any options after the initial
ones if the initial ones are specified in the canonical way,
using a dash.  That is, I believe the following should work:

tar -cfvzp usr-backup.tgz --exclude=3D"*.gz" /etc/

Besides, as someone else pointed out, the 'f' in the option string
specifies that the next argument is a filename; so put the filename
next :)

G'luck,
Peter

--=20
Peter Pentchev	roam@ringlet.net	roam@FreeBSD.org
This inert sentence is my body, but my soul is alive, dancing in the sparks=
 of your brain.

--UugvWAfsgieZRqgk

--UugvWAfsgieZRqgk--