Date:      Fri, 26 Feb 1999 07:11:15 +1000
From:      Greg Black <gjb@comkey.com.au>
To:        "Dan O'Connor" <dan@jgl.reno.nv.us>
Cc:        "Langa Kentane" <LKentane@mweb.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Max # of users

> >What is the max number of users that I can have on my BSD machine.
>
> Well, if you mean simultaneous users, that depends on what value you set for
> MAXUSERS in your kernel configuration file. If you haven't built yourself a
> kernel and are still using GENERIC, then MAXUSERS is 32.

You're making this up.  The setting of maxusers in the kernel
config file has no effect on the maximum number of users that
can login simultaneously.  It is there to arrange for a suitable
level of system resources in a running kernel.

The major limit on the number of users is the number of ptys.
That is dependent on two things: the "pseudo-device pty xxx"
line in the kernel config file and on the number of devices in
/dev, which can be increased with the /dev/MAKEDEV command.

--
Greg Black <gjb@acm.org>