Date:      Thu, 18 Nov 1999 20:42:14 +1100 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        new-bus@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Makefile module cleanup

On Wed, 17 Nov 1999, Warner Losh wrote:

> Right now nearly every makefile in the sys/modules tree has code that
> looks like:
>
> S	= ${.CURDIR}/../..
> SRCS=   ... device_if.h bus_if.h isa_if.h
> CLEANS+= device_if.h bus_if.h isa_if.h
>
> device_if.h: $S/kern/makedevops.pl $S/kern/device_if.m
> 	perl $S/kern/makedevops.pl -h $S/kern/device_if.m

> Are there plans to make this more modular?  I've cut and paste this
> same makefile code abotu 10 times now :-<.

I've complained to people who cut and paste this spam :-).

Plan:
- repository-copy bsd.kmod.mk and bsd.kern.mk to
  sys/conf/maybe-better-names.mk.
- arrange to find bsd.kmod.mk there using searches like the ones now in
  bsd.kmod.mk (only kernel makefiles and makefiles for modules in
  sys/modules can use relative paths).  May need a stub bsd.kmod.mk
  in the standard place.
- put general rules like the one for device_if.h above in the
  new bsd.kern.mk and remove them from module makefiles, kernel
  makefiles, sys/conf/files and sys/${MACHINE}/conf/files.${MACHINE}.
- add support to the new bsd.kmod.mk for putting *_if.h in SRCS and
  CLEANFILES as required.  The VFS_KLD macro handles this well for
  vfs modules, but modules are probably too diverse for a generalisation
  of this to work well.  I think I'll try requiring module makefiles
  put the required foo_if.h's in SRCS.

Bruce