Date:      Thu, 19 Nov 1998 12:29:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      George Uhl <uhl@mamba-e.gsfc.nasa.gov>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, nick@dcs.shef.ac.uk
Subject:   Re: bandwith monitor for unix freebsd

> Don't forget the Resource reSerVetion Protocol (RFC 2208) of IETF.

 Yup.

> > You are correct in one sense, the desired bandwidth reservation can
> break down if
> > at least one router along the flow path cannot provide support for
> that reservation.
> >

> How many routers are there in the net today that support any kind of
> resource
> reservation mechanism? Let alone having an ISP with bandwidth
> reservation services to
> all its users. There is no way you'll ever find one single path where
> all routers are
> going to support bandwidth reservations.

None yet, but soon.  It all hinges on diffserv.  vBNS has comitted
to providing RSVP over ATM.  Granted its a research network, but
that is where the new technologies are proven.

In the meantime you can setup a traffic control capability using ALTQ
on your FreeBSD box.  I haven't tried dummynet but it is very popular
too.

Good luck,
George