Date:      Wed, 18 Feb 1998 12:24:53 -0500
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@vmunix.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   SCSI boot woes...

Hi all.. Here's a little SCSI dilemna that I'm hoping someone
out there has solved. The short summary: I need to boot a disk that's
hanging off my *second* SCSI controller. Is it possible?

Details: I have a Digital PPro that has a built-in NCR53c810 SCSI
controller. Normally, I have 1 disk for NT (ID0) and one for
FreeBSD (ID1), and they both hang off the NCR controller. I use
"bootpart" to copy the first 512 bytes of the 2nd disk into a file
on C and then use the NT boot loader to pick between FreBSD and
NT. Works great.

Enter a second controller. I have a nice new Quantum Fireball 6.5GB
disk for FreeBSD. Unfortunately, it doesn't perform as well as I'd
like attached to the NCR controller. I came across a 2940UW controller
and thought I'd plug it in and hang my disks of it instead. My plan
was to keep the CDROM and ZIP drive on the NCR, but the hard drives
on the 2940. WRONG! No matter what I tried, I could not get the
drives (either of them) to boot off the adaptec. The adaptec picks
them up fine and assignes then C: and D:, and says "BIOS installed
successfully", but nothing happens after that. Hmmrff.

So I switched to plan B, which was to keep everything including the
1st NT drive on the NCR, and just keep my FreeBSD disk on the 2940.
NT boots fine, and the adaptec tools under NT find the 2940 and the
Quantum drive just fine. Even bootpart sees the FreeBSD drive, and
picks it up a a 386/BSD partition type like it always has.. But still,
when I try to boot the thing from the NT loader it just won't go...
so I'm assuming I have some sort of SCSI BIOS fighting going on that
prevents me from booting off the second controller. I even tried
disabling the NCR from the BIOS and unplugging any drives on it - still
no go, the Adaptec won't let me boot from the drive.

So if anyone has any tips on what I should try next, I'd be very happy.
When using a floppy to acccess the FreeBSD drive, bonnie and iozone
show that Adaptec to be writing over 1MB/s faster than the NCR could
to the Quantum Fireball.... In other words, I've tasted the cake and
now I don't want to go without it!  :-)

TIA,
-Mark

(P.S. Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to provide all the info
I could..)
 Mark Mayo		  				mark@vmunix.com
 RingZero Comp.  	  		    http://www.vmunix.com/mark

	 finger mark@vmunix.com for my PGP key and GCS code