Date:      Thu, 30 Aug 2001 10:31:48 +0200
From:      "Kjell" <kmidtset@c2i.net>
To:        "Jason Halbert" <jason@jason-n3xt.org>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: test - please ignore

Jason!
Some 6 months ago when I first subscribed to this list I had the same
difficulties as you.
-My postings did not appear or appeared 2 days later.
-Postings in an interesting thread were missing.
-Postings were repeated once an hour for up to 6 days.
-etc etc
None of this could be repeated on the test mail list.
My understanding of the problem is that the mail server for this list does a
backcheck to your mail server. If the proper response is not received,
you are in trouble.
My ISP is running a Solaris OS with a Postfix MTU that were not properly
set up. It took him 3 months and lots of frustration on my part to get it
fixed. Try to do a reverse NS lookup on his mail server.
Now I can participate in the list.
The way things are now there will always be people like you and me that
in sheer frustration will post test messages to this list. The only way to
avoid this is to "relax" the setup of this list's mail server.
It would also be helpful if the responses to the test messages are a bit
helpful instead of the often rather acid responses..
You have my full sympaties
regards from Kjell/LA3SG