Date:      Thu, 14 Sep 2000 08:44:50 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Danny <dannyh@idx.com.au>
Cc:        Caleb Walker <cwalker@cwalk.org>, Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Star Office and editor

Danny writes:
> I don't see why you don't want to invest in Applixware 4.2 for FreeBSD. The key
> points for the above product is : -

Um - I already bought a copy of Applixware. I've got 4.42; it arrived
tuesday. It also doesn't work, axmain exiting with a segmentation
fault any time I try to open the window (or the help window, or ...).

It turns out that ApplixWare is only tested on GENERIC kernels on
-RELEASE. It's not clear whether the problem I'm seeing is caused by
something in my custom kernel config (I need an SMP kernel, at the
very least), or a change that's gone into the system since
4.0-RELEASE.

> 1) It works extremely well on a Pentium 166 unlike star office
> 2) It takes 15 minutes to install unlike star office which takes "hours"
> 3) It cost only $195 Australian.
>
> Looking forward to your feedback.

Question: Can I use the postscript fonts I bought from Adobe with
ApplixWords?

I haven't written it off yet, but I *need* a professional quality word
processor - yesterday. WP8 is minimally acceptable, but doesn't have
the typesetting capabilities I want. AbiWord has those capabilities,
but can't handle the page layout needs I have.

Other suggestions are certainly welcome.

	<mike