Date:      Fri, 29 Sep 2000 09:27:16 -0500
From:      "Charlie Schloemer" <charlie@infoworks.net>
To:        Enrico Donelli <enricod@logicom.it>, David Raistrick <keen@damoe.wireless-isp.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dual boot with win2000

On 28 Sep 00, at 17:46, David Raistrick wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Sep 2000, Enrico Donelli wrote:
>
> > I work with a machine with win 2000 server, and i would like to install
> > freeBSD on a partition.
> > is there a document where to find information about dual boot using the nt
> > loader?
>
> I dual boot my laptop with 4.1-S and y2k. er. win2k. (only because work
> requires it! really!)
>
> I installed Free first, left the first partition for dos, then installed
> win2k.
>
> After getting win2k up and running, i went back to the Free install disks,
> and reinstalled the freebsd MBR and manager.
>
> Works fine.
>
> later...david

Also, Win2K will always put its boot loader on its own partition,
though it will overwrite the MBR with a standard MBR.  I've never
had a problem installing FBSD's boot loader on the MBR after
Win2K installation.

However, the original question was, "Where can I get info. about
making the NT boot manager load FBSD?"  You'd be making an
entry in C:\boot.ini, or whatever your system drive is, though it's not
for the faint of heart; the file is unnecessarily cryptic with its ARC
paths.  Also, if you scrag this file such that Windows can't read it,
you'll likely be reinstalling your system.  (Make a backup before
you start, and have a boot floppy handy.)  The FreeBSD boot
loader is much easier,  and seems to make intelligent guesses
about how to boot an unknown partition.  It requires no
configuration for Windows 2000.

Good luck,
-charlie