Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 2000 16:52:16 -0600
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        MauricioWP <mwp@pucrs.br>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI Problem/Error

On Thu, Jul 27, 2000 at 15:29:48 -0300, MauricioWP wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I had a *little* problem in my SCSI devices that halted my 4.0-stable
> box today. The console messages follows:
>
> (da1:ahc0:0:12:0): SCB 0x3b - timed out in Data-out phase, SEQADDR ==
> 0x115
> (da1:ahc0:0:12:0): BDR message in message buffer
> (da1:ahc0:0:12:0): SCB 0x47 - timed out in Data-out phase, SEQADDR ==
> 0x115
>
> These messages were in highlight, so I think they're important messages
> :).

Yes.  This generally means that you have a cabling or termination problem.
Timed out in data-out phase usually means that the bus is stuck in a
particular phase.  Since the error is coming from the da(4) driver, it has
probably been stuck in data-out phase for 60 seconds.

> I also have a Sony DDS3 external tape drive, which is off at the moment.
> Sometimes when I connect the tape to system some strange SCSi errors
> appear in the console (I don't have any know, the tape was off in this
> boot...).

Well, in order to diagnose those errors, we'd have to see what they are. :)

> What I'd like to know is what these error messages mean. I don't know
> much about SCSI. A month ago this machine lost a disk (which I changed).
> The two disks (da1 and da0) are in different SCSI channels (as you can
> see in the informations above). Am I playing dumb and there something I
> should do to not happen these errors. Or there is some evil in my
> hardware? Maybe there is some evil Spirit of Bytes who is playing with
> my machine (then I should call some kind of hardware exorcist).

Actually, your disks are on the same SCSI bus, just different cables.

You should check for a cabling or termination problem.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@kdm.org