Date:      Wed, 23 Jan 2019 06:54:38 +0000
From:      Sergey Zakharchenko <doublef.mobile@gmail.com>
To:        Jochen Neumeister <joneum@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Rainer Duffner <rainer@ultra-secure.de>, Grzegorz Junka <list1@gjunka.com>, freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org, Martin Bodo <martin@digital-loggers.com>
Subject:   Re: The status of docker

Hello there guys,

> Not quite. I took over the docker freebsd port. Currently I am trying to
> change him to moby project on GH.

Jochen, I wish you the best of luck. As a couple of cents, and on
behalf of Digital Loggers, Inc., I've uploaded some old patches that
we use to run an ancient version of Docker on FreeBSD:
https://github.com/digitalloggers/docker-zfs-patches . They speed up
building of large containers by not iterating over all container files
at every single stage, using ZFS diffs instead. No warranty, express
or implied, is provided on those patches; I'm sure you'll find some
edge cases where they'll break your container builds; you have been
warned. Also, forgive my Go: that was the first and hopefully the last
time I wrote something in it.

That's not much; the real problems are with volume (e.g. single-file
"volumes" which are hard links) and networking support; they were
solved (kind of) by us by dynamically generating Dockerfiles and
adding container startup wrappers, to the point that most would say
it's too mutilated to be named Docker, so I'm afraid we aren't sharing
those for the time being.

My answers to why on earth one would run Docker under FreeBSD instead
of using plain (or wrapped in yet another wrapper unknown to
non-FreeBSD) jails would be uniformity, simplicity, skill reuse, etc.
of quite a broad range of operations. However, Docker/Moby is really
too tied to Linux; there seem to be random attempts at overcoming that
but they don't receive enough mind share. Jetpack
(https://github.com/3ofcoins/jetpack/) could probably also benefit
from the patches (with appropriate adjustments). Interested people
willing to invest time in this should gather and decide how to move
on.

Best regards,

--
DoubleF