Date:      Sat, 2 Oct 1999 20:34:17 +0200
From:      Tim Priebe <tim@iafrica.com.na>
To:        Rami Abu Jebara <rjebara@palnet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: multi-port ethernet cards

I have been using this in production since April or early May, but 3.1-RELEASE
will panic your system if you try this!  ( it is possible to use a more recent
if_vlan.c and eliminate the panic.) I have a 3.2 BETA from 24 May that is
routing between 10 networks.

How to implement.

1) edit your kernel configuration file, adding the following line,

pseudo-device   vlan    n

where n is the number of vlan devices you want.

2) build and install kernel as usual.

3) get, build and install a version if ifconfig that supports configuring vlan
devices. A copy can be obtained from
ftp://196.31.225.208/pub/FreeBSD/misc/ifconfig-vlan.tgz
( I have lost the email address of the person that sent this to me, he may now
have an improved version. make install does not work, I have not looked at it.)
The man page included expains the new vlan options.

4) add the apropriate entries to your rc.conf eg.

ifconfig_xl0="inet 192.168.225.199  netmask 255.255.255.0"
fconfig_vlan0="inet 192.168.25.199  netmask 255.255.255.0  vlan 2 vlandev xl0"
network_interfaces="xl0 vlan0 lo0"

important it is possible to have one untagged vlan on the interface, as above.
If you do not have an untagged vlan on the interface, then you must enable the
interface. ie ifconfig xl0 up.

5) reboot your syestem to start your new kernel and interfaces.

dont forget to configure your switch.

Good luck,

Tim.

On Sat, 02 Oct 1999, Rami Abu Jebara
wrote: > Hi

> This is very interesting ..
>
> can you please point me in the right direction ...
>
> Thanks in advance ..
>
> Cheers
>
> Rami

[...]

> > > what is this "VLAN feature" of FreeBSD ? (IP aliasing ?)
> > >
> > > 	TfH
> >
> > No, it is 802.1Q VLAN tagging. It is an extension to the Ethernet header, that
> > specifies which virtual LAN the packet belongs to. With a Switch that can
> > handel the 802.1Q standard, and is capable of enforcing that packets do not
> > cross to an other VLAN,  you can effectively have multiple network cards on
> > multipule networks, with only one network card.
> >
> > The available documentation is quite sparse right now, but I have someone
> > preparing some web pages describing how to do it. It is actually quite simple,
> > if you want, I can send you a brief instruction, and a replacement for ifconfig
> > I was given.
> >
> > Tim.

[...]