Date:      Mon, 20 Sep 2004 13:13:31 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Dmitry Pryanishnikov <dmitry@atlantis.dp.ua>
To:        Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
Cc:        "Danil V.Gerun" <news@625.ru>
Subject:   Re: Random source ports in FreeBSD?

Hello!

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004, Mike Silbersack wrote:
>> So, as far as I got to know, randomizing source ports in FreeBSD is
>> impossible now? (to be exact - is not implemented?)
>>
>> It's very interesting to me - WHY is it so?
>> I mean - may be there are good reasons for not making all this?..
>
> Source port randomization was implemented before 4.10 was released.  See
> in_pcb.c revisions 1.143 - 1.146, 1.59.2.27, or 1.59.2.27.2.1, depending on
> the branch you're interested in:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/netinet/in_pcb.c

  Yes, source port randomization works in 4.10-RELEASE, but port number
sequence tends to give the same port number every 100-200 ports. Local
FTP install of 4.10-RELEASE always fail for me, as a workaround I'm forced
to issue sysctl net.inet.ip.portrange.randomized=0 before reselecting FTP
server in sysinstall. Are there plans to fix the quality of random port number
generation under 4-STABLE?

Sincerely, Dmitry
--
Atlantis ISP, System Administrator