Date:      Sun, 5 Dec 2004 16:38:10 -0600
From:      Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD or OpenBSD

--nextPart1796445.2eKnWV4Fn1

On Sunday 05 December 2004 03:47 pm, Damien Hull wrote:

> 3. Firewall and routing support is built in

I've never messed with non-basic routing under either OS, but you're surely=
=20
aware that FreeBSD has several built-in firewall systems (including OpenBSD=
's=20
own "pf")?

> Should I make the switch from FreeBSD to OpenBSD for my servers?

There's nothing inherently wrong with the idea, but I personally wouldn't. =
=20
Unless you have a hardware crypto accelerator installed, FreeBSD seems to b=
e=20
several times faster than OpenBSD on the same hardware.  That's not a=20
criticism of OpenBSD, but an observation that all that nifty crypto=20
functionality does come at a measurable cost.

I would consider replacing FreeBSD with OpenBSD if:

  1) I could afford faster hardware, including a crypto accelerator.
  2) I don't mind hand-compiling software that hasn't made it into OpenBSD'=
s=20
ports tree.
  3) I value security above all else, including performance and easy access=
 to=20
lots of software.

I can certainly imagine scenarios where I'd make that choice (credit card=20
databases, domain controllers, etc.) but for the stuff I work with more=20
commonly, FreeBSD is my pick.
=2D-=20
Kirk Strauser