Date:      Mon, 10 Nov 1997 09:15:36 +0000
From:      Scot Elliott <scot@poptart.org>
To:        Antal Rutz <rutz@dab.iit.uni-miskolc.hu>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Gateway question

Antal Rutz wrote:

> How do I configure 'box1' to be able to act as a router between
> the ethernet and 'box2'.
> Addresses: both (box1|box2) 193.6.9.0/255.255.255.0 .
> I enabled ipforwarding but it didn't seem to work.
> Thanks for your help.
>
> --rutz

Well enabling IP forwarding is just about it really on the BSD side.
But don't forget that the client machines on the ethernet need to know
about how to send packets to box2.  If they only have your default
router configured (probable), then you need to tell the router how to
send packets to box2 on behalf of the client machines.  You can do this
by running routed or gated (see the man pages) on box1 - to have routing
information  broadcast automatically.  Or you can configure a static
route (prefered here I think) on your router, which points to box1 as
the router to box2.  How you do that depends on the router.

Scot