Date:      Mon, 26 Jun 2000 04:44:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Adam <bsdx@looksharp.net>
To:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Compaq laptop "Computer setup" bios partitions

Quick version: Does anyone have a compaq armada who can share with me the
size and position of the compaq Computer Setup partition?

I have within my posession a Compaq Armada 7800 series laptop which stores
the bios settings in the computer itself but depends on floppies or a
special partition to change them.  This laptop was formatted by someone
who didnt know what they are doing, and no longer works for the company so
definitely out of reach.  Anyhow, I need to resolve an irq conflict and
the floppy disks seem to think there may be a setup password even after I
let the laptop sit without power or batteries for at least 10 minutes.  I
took the big cell out, unconnected a smaller battery inside, and popped
out a small button cell.  The time was reset when I put it all back
together but no progress on the bios issue, so I want to install the
computer setup partition.  Compaq claims you must have no existing
partitions to do so;  well like the sneaky fellow I am, I want to use
partition magic to resize the existing partition to make room, and to hide
it so hopefully the thing will install its partition.  I have already
backed up the small amount of data and apps I need, but at 5am I dont want
to format windows 98 and reinstall office if I dont have to.  (Yeah I'd
love to try FreeBSD on it but work comes first, unfortunately its not my
laptop)  I'm hoping someone out there could help me out within a few
hours.. maybe :)  Thanks.