Date:      Wed, 31 Jul 2002 09:15:55 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Wayne Lubin <wayneclubin@yahoo.com>
To:        system@pathfinder.gr
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dual-booting win98 and FreeBSD problem

I am not completely sure but my first instinct is that
when using the freebsd boot manager, any os you wish
the boot manager to find must be within a certain
number of sectors/cylinders/heads blah blah blah.
Therefore when you have multiple os's you wish to be
bootable, you would do something like make a small
slice for freebsd, probably a slice just big enough
for the "/" directory. Then make after that a little
slice for the "Bill Gates Hell Zone". Then after that
make the rest of the disk for freebsd. And finally
make the entire second disk another "Bill Gates Zone
of Hell". You see in my theory the problem is that the
boot manager uses a finite number of bits to determine
where each of the os's start, and by making "bill
gates land" begin on the second disk, it is beyond the
largest number that those bits can count up to and so
it just loads the only os it can find. And then again
I may be completely wrong haha. Well at least my
theory sounds good. One day maybe I will get around to
reading the boot manager that freebsd uses, or any
boot manager for that matter.  God luck.

Wayne