Date:      Tue, 3 Dec 2013 04:41:17 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6724@bellsouth.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Ports via svn, make fetchindex and make compatibility with NetBSD

Is it necessary to make fetchindex after downloading or updating the ports tree using svn?

I have new installations of head and 10-stable where I so far can't connect to the Internet, though I can from Linux and NetBSD-current amd64.

So I use subversion, built on NetBSD from pkgsrc, to checkout and update ports tree as well as system source tree.

But I believe I can't run "make fetchindex" without Internet connection.

Now I read that FreeBSD make has switched to bmake in the 10-stable and head branches.

So could I run "make fetchindex" from NetBSD even if I don't attempt to actually build ports from NetBSD?

I would have to point the MAKECONF to FreeBSD's /etc/make.conf rather than use NetBSD's /etc/mk.conf which is specific to NetBSD.

Or is it safe to skip "make fetchindex" entirely?

Tom