Date:      Thu, 09 Dec 1999 21:42:44 -0800
From:      Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Novatel Merlin -- work on FreeBSD "opcenter" replacement begins

Those of you who may have a Novatel Merlin may know already that it
works beautifully under FreeBSD, but may be a tad jealous of Windows
users of Merlin that get the little GUI window with signal strength
and status information and the like.

I have started to work with the Novatel MSCI spec in the hopes of making
such a thing for Unix users of Sage, Merlin and other Novatel wireless
CDPD products.

Already I have a simple app that does a single poll for status. You
can take a look at the source code at http://www.freebsd.org/~nsayer/
(look down for the Merlin section). It is conceivable that someone
could take this basic code and make a Windowmaker or KDE dockable app
with a signal strength and BLER meter in it, for example. My knowledge
of X programming is essentially nil. My own goal is to see if I can make
a top-like curses app out of the thing eventually.